DEAN G. STATHAKIS, PH.D., J.D.
Dean G. Stathakis, Ph.D., J.D. is a registered patent attorney and president of UltimatEdge. Dr. Stathakis’s practice focuses on patent procurement, portfolio development, technology transfer, and life cycle management of intellectual property for clients in the life sciences industry. Dr. Stathakis has substantial experience in world-wide patent prosecution, licensing and merger and acquisition-related due diligence, freedom to operate analyses, and rendering infringement and validity opinions. His areas of technical proficiency include biologic and small molecule pharmaceuticals, formulations, diagnostic and screening assays, antibodies and immunotherapies, medical treatments, medical devices, drug delivery systems, and biotechnology innovations involving genetic engineering, genomics, and/or proteomics.
Prior to founding UltimatEdge, Dr. Stathakis was co-owner, president, and chief operations officer of One3 IP Management, P.C., where he was head of the patent procurement group. His practice also focused on patent procurement, portfolio development, technology transfer, and life cycle management of intellectual property for clients in the life sciences industry. Previously, Dr. Stathakis worked at the Orange County office of the global law firm K&L Gates, LLP, where his practice focused on the management and prosecution of patent portfolios for Allergan, Beckman Coulter, Baxter Healthcare, Inc., and Spectrum Pharmaceuticals among others. Prior to joining K&L Gates, Dr. Stathakis practiced at Allergan, Inc., where he managed the legal and intellectual property matters related to BOTOX®, recombinant biologics, and small molecule pharmaceuticals. Following receipt of his Ph.D., Dr. Stathakis worked as a postdoctoral research fellow at the University of California, Irvine—first investigating the role of tumor suppressors in human oncology using molecular biology and epidemiology studies. Secondly, he investigated how multiple cell signaling pathways are correctly interpreted and integrated by cells in a spatial and temporal-dependent manner. His research has been the subject of numerous publications in peer-reviewed scientific articles.
- J.D., Whittier Law School With a Certificate In Intellectual Property Law (Magna Cum Laude)
- Ph.D., University Of Virginia (Molecular Biology)
- B.S., Loyola University of Chicago (Biology)
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- Bar Of California
- United States District Court for the Central District Of California
- United States Court Of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court Of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Licensing Executive Society (LES)
- Orange County Intellectual Property Law Association (OCIPLA)